Wednesday 12 November 2014

My Year Of Blogucation

So it's 19.48 Saturday night and I am sat on a train pulling out of Euston station having just been to Blogfest. It was a truly wonderful day, the highlight being meeting my amazing blogging friends who I chat on line to daily yet have never met. They are all a lovely as I hoped they would be, so kind, caring and supportive. Yet I come away feeling slightly overwhelmed. 

I take you back to June 2014 when I attended my first ever conference Brit Mums Live. Wow I was totally courted and wooed by the blogging world such a glitzy affair.  I learnt so much and met so many wonderful people. I came away buzzing high from the blog bubble, but looking back totally naive. 

I had no idea about stats; no follow links, publishing laws. It was all like a lovely wonderful fairytale. Don't get me wrong blogging is still my fairytale every time I press publish I get that excited shiver down my spine, I look upon my blog like another child that needs nurturing and attention, have grown to love it, but it has been a learning curve.



My next event was Tots100 Blog Camp. So totally different to my Brit Mums experience but again I met so many generous, caring people and learnt loads. But, and its is a biggish but; I was overwhelmed at the concept of pitching to editors, advertising and working with brands. 


I felt I had learnt so much on that day but came away feeling I had soooo much more to learn. An exciting concept but with the feeling that blogging had just ramped it up another level. It had become a lot more involved. 

Then today Mumsnet Blogfest again totally different I would say more journalist based a lot more discussions about becoming an established journalist/author again like the last 2 events inspirational panelists. But the concept of serious journalism blew my mind, it was all so exciting; yes I could write a book a childhood dream and you really are never too old. All very thought provoking. 

                            

So where am I now? In my 9th month of blogging I love it more every day, love the people I am meeting along the way. I have learnt so much, and can't quite believe the journey and the opportunities it is bringing my family and myself, and allowing us to really help others by talking about our experiences when dealing with diabetes. But I now know it is much more than a blog, more than just siting and writing to fill my hunger for writing. It is about sharing, engaging, being inclusive, and a huge honour and responsibility.

Thank you so much to the big 3 for my education this year, you have taught me so much helped me to achieve things and help people in a way I never thought possible. 

Made me realise how behind the rest of the world is, in respect of engagement, social media and networking. And what is so exciting is that I have only just touched the tip of the iceberg.  I have so much more to learn and feel so excited for what lies ahead.
         
So if you are thinking Mmm which event shall I do Britmums, Tots100 or Mumsnet my advice as a new kid on the block is do them all, have a sponge year, learn all you can. Each experience is so different yet so inspiring for a different reason. And next year I can't wait to do it all again. 

7 comments:

  1. I am really looking forward to actually meeting you at BritMums Live next year. My nerves are definitely easing and I'm definitely really excited about it. I feel like I haven't learned a thing yet. Next year will have to be my sponge year I guess ha ha xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Maria I can't wait to meet you, you will be surprised what you know when you get there, and everyone is so lovely. I was made to feel so welcome x

      Delete
  2. Don't ever stop getting the tingle down the spine feeling !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, can't wait to meet you at BritMums! I will be that big/small sponge!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I can't wait to meet you either Julia, its going to be fantastic x

      Delete
  4. Love your blog title - blogucation is a gorgeous word!

    Sounds like you have nerves of steel to attend all those blogging events in the last year, what are your top tips to avoid being overwhelmed by so many people in a room?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I love to read them and will always reply to any questions, Many Thanks Sarah x